I understand that I am not in
It starts when I leave our place in the morning. I have to lock the door to my bedroom, then the door to our apartment, then the gate to our apartment, then the door to our apartment building, then the gate to our apartment complex. Needless to say, being in a hurry sucks and realizing that you’ve left your umbrella in your room after you’ve made it all the way outside sucks even more.
For that matter, walking doesn’t get me very far because, unlike McGill, the
It gets worse after dark. Going out then involves calling one of the drivers that has been recommended to us and requesting to be picked up. He will work us into his own busy schedule and we will be picked up, dropped off, and retrieved at a time that is possible for him. Walking at night is just not smart, so whether we want to go to a dance club downtown or just down the road to visit friends, we are required to wait, sometimes up to an hour, for a driver.
Having gotten that all off my chest…
There are elements about life here that I adore. I love the view from my window, which boasts a lemon tree and Devil’s Peak, part of
I love how closely my living conditions resemble the set-up on Friends. The apartment building I’m living in is a four-plex, with four sets of roommates living in separate apartments of the two-story building. My roommate
And there are awesome benefits to living in a city, like finally seeing the new Harry Potter movie and going to see a professional soccer game between a South African and an English team at the nearby stadium. (We lost; I loved it anyway.)
I’m furthermore really excited for school to start tomorrow. I’m registered for a beginner’s Afrikaans course, two sociology courses, and a political science one. I hope to be able to start some volunteer work this week as well. I feel reasonably well prepared for the semester after spending all week participating in UCT’s orientation (far more practical and tame than McGill’s).
The best part of orientation – and the least serious – was on the first day when we took a bus tour of the greater
So
Table Mountain and Devil's Peak as seen from the top of our road.

Some of the UCT orientation crowd pose at the Cape of Good Hope.

Neil, Luke, and I pause during our hike.




4 comments:
hey number one. got your message re AH and was much impressed. keep us updated. photos look lovely -- not rainy or yucky :P i can't imagine having that many keys or needing a driver...i vaguely wonder sometimes if i am being imprudent wandering in lisbon (i probably am) but it's been too many years of taking my safety for granted. yesterday alberto maru and I were out at a club until 4-something and we naviagated 2 night buses and a walk home without really thinking twice. you're going to go home after cape town and feel like you don't even need to close your door! I'm excited to hear more about your classes...especially that poli sci one! keep up the excellent blogging...I'll keep reading :)
I could post some pictures of rainy misery if you'd like! Haha. These pictures were all taken on the same single day that it was sunny and clear.
Ja, the keys are a huge pain and the key ring doesn't fit in my pocket. But it's worth it to keep Natalie safe while I'm out. :-)
Email me more about your guests!
O k Sonya don't go losing your keys!!! Great pics and info on your blog. What is the temp in your winter, rainy season?? Water skiing and swimming are AWESOME in Georgian Bay right now. Got your e-mail. Take Care, much love, Aunt Rhonda
Sonya! I was at the Cape of Good Hope peninsula 6 years ago and it looks about the same from your photos. :o) I remember feeling like I was actually at the end of the world. It was very awesome.
My parents talk about the safety precautions they'll have to take in their SA house (gates and such), and that's in a gated community in Knysna... city life sounds like it requires tons of security measures.
In other news, I finished watching Angel. Sigh. What shall I do with myself now? :o) Maybe that whole LSAT thing. Hehe.
Post a Comment