Monday, December 24, 2007

The Wish

It’s Christmas Eve Day. I don’t have an evergreen tree in my living room or snow outside my door...but a ripe plum tree and a fresh rain make pretty nice alternatives.

Some things can even be duplicated. I have my favourite Christmas pop songs to listen to – Calista Flockhart’s “Santa Baby,” Mariah Carrey’s “All I Want for Christmas,” Jessica Simpson’s “Baby it’s Cold Outside.” I have Christmas crackers to distribute so that Mark, Doreen, Emily, Dodi, and I can wear those goofy crowns with dinner.

Some things can’t be duplicated. I missed the always memorable Bell family Christmas gathering yesterday. I don’t get to savour the sound of my mom wrapping gifts tonight. There will be no homemade apple pie for dessert tomorrow night. And at no point this holiday season did I get to exasperate my dad by repeatedly playing Hanson’s Snowed In CD.

I know and appreciate that this is a unique opportunity for me to experience a South African Christmas with an entire South African family. An entire South African town, for that matter! Tonight we’re dressing up for a neighbourhood costume party. The chosen theme is “Asian Fusion.” (I don’t get the connection either, and have been calling it “Asian Confusion.” ) Tomorrow morning, I’ll wake up to a church service in Afrikaans, then a gift exchange in the sunroom with my pseudo-family.

Furthermore, if I weren’t here, I wouldn’t have a puppy to spoil. Naartjie got her Christmas gift a couple of days early, actually. Over the weekend, she chased a rooster – literally ruffling his feathers – and destroyed a pillow - with much gusto - clearly indicating that she needed the new toy I had been keeping for her sooner rather than later. The animals and inanimate objects of the household are as pleased with her new cong as she is.

But paralleling this entire experience is the fact that my family, my friends, the ski hills, and the Boxing Day sales are a whole hemisphere away. Sigh.

I wish I could be in two places at once.
Doreen and Mark having dinner on the back porch.


Doreen is celebrating her birthday today, on Christmas Eve. We hosted a birthday party on Thursday night - here are the girls and I with the two "TV"cakes we created for the event.


Naartjie attacks her new cong!

4 comments:

Virgys said...

Merry Xmas Sonya!

Lots of love and best wishes

Virginia

Pops said...

The rain is O.K. for you but rain turned to ice at the Bell Christmas get together and we had to cancel the horse drawn sleigh ride at your Uncle Lyle's farm... Other than that we had a blast and everyone says high... (pictures to follow) Sure missing you this time of year (and always) but not those noisy Hansons... The cakes look great very creative..... Enjoy your Christmas eve, talk to you tomorrow........ Love Ya
Pops

Anonymous said...

We missed you at the Bell family Christmas........... or I think you were there, sitting in a special spot along with your cousin Steven. A picture is worth a thousand words. I shall forward some pictures if I can get it figured out. Hope your day was wonderful. So glad your dog is still the apple of your eye.It was interesting seeing the pics of you your Mom and Dad on their visit to see you. BEST shot was the picture your Dad took of the elephant. I always wondered if they have 4 feet! The picture was proof. Love Aunt Rhonda

cns said...

hello my lovely number one:
you are looking quite flushed in those photos -- can tell you've had a bit of sun :)
i do know how you feel, there's always somewhere to be that is where you are not...c'est la vie.
enjoy the puppy, the ridiculous neighbourhood gatherings, and the rest of the holiday season.

thinking of you
cns