Every day last week, I returned to my flat pretty convinced that I have the coolest job on the planet.
One day I was perched at the
Another day, for the next issue of Equal Treatment, I was interviewing Zimbabwean refugees who are waiting to be processed by the Department of Home Affairs in line-ups that are months long downtown. These people had unbelievable stories to tell and I can’t wait to see my article in print.
I’m really, really happy here. I am gaining invaluable experience at work and savouring all that
Bringing St Paddy's down South.
But pangs of doubt hit me.
Do Western volunteers bring valuable skills to
Do journalists create awareness, or just publish compelling stories by exploiting other people’s pain? The Zimbabwean refugees whom I interviewed are still sleeping on sidewalks, five days after I met them. Don’t I owe them something more, after they gave me their stories?
And another thing – I remember that very early in my stay, I was appalled by how middle-class South Africans could live such fine lives in the midst of abject poverty. When did it become easy for me to accept, to adopt the same carefree lifestyle? How unjust is it that I’ve enjoyed more of what
Case in point: my friend Courtney and I are spending the Easter long weekend in
Story of my life.
The varied landscapes, the diverse cultures, the relationships I've built compel me. For better or for worse,
I’ll always be making my way back to


4 comments:
I'm so glad you're happy. All the stories you tell are so crazy insane! What an opportunity! But it's also good your questioning yourself. That's what's really making this experience invaluable. I know I've felt the same way as you many times... is feeling grateful for how lucky we are enough?
Have a great time in Namibia! xoxoxoxox
Sonya: What you are saying is soooo true. I have had feelings of guilt at home as well as in other countries. On vacations, when on tours of local areas, seeing the poverty that exists in does give me guilt pangs as well.
Even at work I see first hand the life style that some of my students have to deal heartbreaking and at such a young age. I some times console myself with the theory that I cannot change their whole life but I can make coming to school the most wonderful experience they may have in their lives. I am getting choked up just writing this because there are so many sad situations I can think of right here in our wonderful country. So chin up and think about the good that will come of your work in Africa. Love Aunt Rhonda
I should have proof read my last message!! Too many grammar errors!! Oh Well hope you get the ideas .... in a hurry today. Love Aunt Rhonda
-Hey Kid, by having these thoughts, you are on the right track....
There are lots of things in this world that you can help change and there are many many more that you can not...
This we have to learn to accept!!!
See you a week from Friday, can hardly wait...
Love
Pops
Post a Comment